What To Expect and What To Prepare
It is helpful to do a bit of research and information gathering before you approach a designer. The more you understand your objectives and desired content, the quicker the process will flow and the more cost effective.
- Start by looking at other websites and making notes of what you like and don't like.
- Do you prefer dark colors or light? Is there a color palette or logo you want to match?
- What information should your site include? The basics are product and/or services, press, exhibitions, a bio and contact information.
- Will you be selling items online?
- Do you want to include a blog?
- How important is social sharing?
- Do you want clients to be able to sign up for newsletters?
What to Prepare
If you have an existing website much of the information gathering is already done but if not have the following items available:
- Product images and information (art, shoes, toys, whatever it is you want to promote)
- A bio or a few sentences describing who you are and what you do
- Press if applicable
- Contact information (you can make this blind if you prefer - as an example refer to the HIRE US page of this site)
- Social media links: Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
Cost for Hosting
I design sites using WordPress, Squarespace, Wix, Weebly or Format. Wix and Weebly offer free hosting but to remove ads and their logo, you have to pay a fee. Taking that into consideration, each of these cost approximately $98 per year for hosting and another $10-15 per year for your domain if not included. If you have over 20 pages or plan to sell online (eCommerce) the cost annually is approx. $150-200 per year. These are ongoing charges and a credit card is required and will be debited directly from the provider annually or monthly as you prefer.
Cost for Design
Once we have discussed the specifics of your project I will provide a detailed quote. This can be based on either a project basis or an hourly rate of $100. Once we agree to move forward a deposit of 50% is due upfront with the balance due upon completion. Payments are accepted via PayPal, Quickpay or personal check.
It is my intention to create a site that is easy for you to manage on an ongoing basis but I am here if you need me. Our rate for support is $150 per hour billed in quarter hour increments with a minimum of $50.
Ready to Start?
Contact me via the HIRE US page. If you are local we can schedule a time to meet but since our clients are spread all over the country most of this is typically done over the phone and online.
When Can You Expect a Finished Site?
Most of these products (Squarespace, etc.) offer a 14-Day free trial. For basic sites, our goal is to complete your design within the allotted time frame though larger projects will take more time. Know in advance that this requires TEAMWORK so you need to join me in the commitment to be available to provide input in order to meet this deadline.
If there is anything I haven't answered contact me via the link on the HIRE US page.